Saturday, October 8, 2011

"Hey Mom . . . is Santa Real?"

I knew this question would come up soon. I remember very distinctly the day the news was broken to me. 1st grade, sitting on the bleachers, and I overheard some kids talking. I remember thinking "Man I wish I could go back in time and not have heard that" (obviously I was raised in the back to the future movie era. haha)

Here is how our conversation went:

Grant said "Hey Mom, is Santa real?"
I said "What do you think?"
Grant-"He's real."
Me-"Than if you believe he's real, he's real"
A few moment later I asked "Why? Did someone say something"
Grant-"Yeah, a 2nd Grader, and I said to him "Hey Back Off BUD!"

I just had to laugh. I'm glad he didn't get into a fist fight over that one. haha.

4 comments:

Ashlee said...

That breaks my heart. Especially since I have a 2nd grader I'm still trying to shield from the harsh reality! I know it's coming... I'm bracing myself for this being my last year. So sad. :(

Radke said...

That made me smile. I love Grant, he is such a sweetie and so funny. I so dread this question too. I think it won't be long for K. She is always asking things like, How does Santa get into all our houses? How can he fit in such a small hole? She still hasn't asked how he gets into our house since we don't have a fireplace. But she is such a smart cookie, I think she will figure it out before long. So sad. I learned from my babysitter when I was 5.

Bybee family said...

It's so sad! I was just thinking about Carson this morning and how grown-up he's become (he turns 8 on Sunday) and hoping we could have one more Christmas with him believing. I know he's heard things at school too, I hate that other kids spoil it for some. It's weird to think our kids are outgrowing that stage of total innocence about these things.

rachel said...

Hold off telling them as looong as you can. It was only a couple years ago we told the girls. I thought it should've been a little earlier, but it was so hard for Dad lol