Friday, March 9, 2012

Why do we put things off?

The first part of this post has to do with our house. When we bought the house 5 years ago, we saw that it had a Solar Water Heater on the top of it. We had NO CLUE how the thing worked, but figured it was an added bonus. When we moved in, I told Jeff, "We should have someone come and service it and tell us how it works." Anyone knowing my hubby knows the man is cheap and likes to put things like that off as long as possible. So, year after year, we would choose to pay to service other things and not the solar water heater. We had done some research online and had read somewhere that they can be like "ticking time bombs" on your roof if the pressure builds up in them.

Everyday, for the last  5 years, from 12:00-2:00 water would run out of the solar water heater, into our gutters and into the street. We had thought it did this due to pressure building up inside, making it not the "ticking bomb" we read about. Jeff would tell me ' hurry and do dishes and start a load of laundry, maybe the water would stop. It's running because we aren't using it.' That wasn't the case at all. Another issue we had was in the summer we could enjoy HOT showers and loads of laundry etc. During the winter time, even if I was the 1st in the shower the water never got hot enough and we'd have to deal with tepid water. We just figured it was the solar water heater. Being in Eugene there isn't much Solar Energy going on during the winter months . . . .

Well I finally convinced my hubby to call a service man. For a mere $100  he came and serviced both the water heater and the Solar water heater on the roof. The reason why our water was cold was because on the water heater in the garage, the temp was turned down really low. As for the running water into our gutters part of the solar water heater . . . should have never happened. Really. Imagine turning on your kitchen faucet every day for 2 hours x 5 years. That's how much water we waisted. It makes me sick just thinking about that.

So here is the lesson we learned, when you don't know how something works, at least have someone come and diagnose and explain the function of the item. Don't just assume. Ugh.

I have now enjoyed HOT showers, HOT loads of laundry and sometimes just laugh, that for 5 years I put up with tepid showers . . . 5 years . . If that's not ridiculous I don't know what is.


Now for the rest of us . . .

We are due to have baby #4 in a few days. We aren't actually due until the end of the month, but he is measuring WAY too big for where I am at in the pregnancy. We hope to be induced and hope my body and his body agree's with this induction. If so, we'll have a new little arrival in a few days! Wa HOO!

Here is the latest pregnancy picture:

Since my last post we haven't done too much except get ready for this little guy. The kids helped me paint the bedroom, and all his clothes are washed and put away. I'm thinking it's time for him to come out.


4 comments:

Ashlee said...

Good luck with the delivery! Can't wait to see pictures and hear what name you choose! :) He's sure to be another cute one! Enjoy that sweet moment meeting him!

Paula said...

You look adorable!! I'll pray for a smooth delivery! :-)

Emy said...

Oh I can't believe you are no longer pregnant and have a big baby boy! So happy for you guys today. This picture of you was adorable!

Dani said...

Crazy about the solar water heater! So you're using it now? Do you like it? Is it saving you money? Very interesting!

I just read your recent post about the birth of baby Matthew and I now need to go comment on it!